The Department of Science in Development Education (BSDE) had its birth with the conversion of the Visayas State College of Agriculture into the Leyte State University on August 11, 2001 by virtue of RA 9158.
The main objective of the department is to provide leadership in community development education with the use of the various strategies and cooperative linkages among the government and non-government institutions in the planning and implementation of rural development programs with the active and popular participation of stakeholders, the rural populace.
Leadership in the development of educational strategy in the individual who are endowed with the right values for the development of the community most especially the countryside.
Production of educationally equipped men and women in the area of community development and rural development management education for the attainment of progressive communities across all agro-ecological zones.
1. Supply manpower to help the farming populace improve their productivity through technical and development education.
2. Produce graduates both baccalaureates and advanced degrees with high level of expertise in mobilizing communities for rural development initiative.
3. Assist the local government units and local groups within its service area in the planning and implementation of community and rural development programs through instruction, research and extension.
1. To provide leadership in community development education in the region and to the nation.
2. To develop community and rural development strategies and extension methodologies relevant to the development needs of the region as well as the entire country.
3. To build structure for collaborative and cooperative linkages among the regional and national institution in the field of education and rural development in the planning and implementation of rural development programs with the active participation of the rural populace.
- Extenion workers or supervisors
- Community development officers
- NGO field workers or community organizers
- Managers of rural development projects
- Community project planners, evaluators, or consultants